Initiative Promoting Advocacy and Engagement
Our ESG Integration Approach
* ESG considerations form a part of our overall research process, helping us alongside other factors to identify investment opportunities and manage investment risk. This is known as ESG integration. However, we may conclude that other attributes of an investment outweigh ESG considerations when making investment decisions.
Integration of Environmental, Social,
and Governance Factors
Environmental, Social, and Governance factors comprise a broad spectrum of considerations --positive and negative --that our investment analysts, supported by our ESG specialist teams, consider in the context of any company, industry, or region of the world.
Our perspective on shareholder activism
The purpose of this statement is to share our philosophy and policies on shareholder activism with our clients, portfolio companies, activist investors and other market participants.
Engaging with portfolio companies in a variety of ways.
Assessing a broad range of investment concerns (including environmental and social issues) is integral to our investment process. Based on this view, our interactions with issuers of corporate securities are driven by portfolio management and supported by the expertise of our industry-focused analysts and our in-house specialists in corporate governance and sustainability.
Our priorities in these efforts are tightly connected to our investment views on a company, so we generally conduct our company-level engagement activities privately. In contrast, we tend to collaborate with other shareholders on policy-level concerns, such as advocating with regulators for better disclosure or the protection of shareholder rights.
- Who represents shareholders on a company’s Board?
- What drives the executive incentive program?
- How robust are shareholders’ rights at the company?
- How is the company managing its environmental risks,human resources, facilities, stakeholder relations, and long-term access to critical resources?
T. Rowe Price Investment Management, Inc. (TRPIM) makes independent proxy voting decisions, as described in their proxy voting guidelines, from T. Rowe Price Associates, Inc. (TRPA) and its investment advisory affiliates.
Our approach to engagement
We maintain regular dialogue with the managements of issuers represented across our portfolios.
Where we find areas of concern, we make those concerns known to them.
1 As of March 7th, 2022 RIIM analysis will be different across advisers. T. Rowe Price Investment Management, Inc. (TRPIM) was established as a separately registered U.S. investment adviser. TRPIM has a separate ESG team to that of T. Rowe Price Associates, Inc. (TRPA). TRPA and TRPIM ESG teams are both dedicated to supporting investment decisions and leverage a similar approach, framework, and philosophy.
2 As of December 31 2021