The Emerging Markets Discovery Equity Composite seeks long-term capital appreciation primarily through investment in emerging markets with attractive valuation levels relative to market/sector averages.
- Aim to exploit the valuation anomalies that arise across the diverse and inefficient emerging market opportunity set.
- Employ a contrarian approach using fundamental research, quantitative screen and industry contacts to identify companies that are out of favor, undervalued and that offer an attractive risk and reward profile.
- Minimize the risk of value traps by focusing on companies offering yield or a book value anchor to the valuation, and where we have identified re-rating thesis that can lead to an expansion in valuation over time.
- Risk management is an integral part of the portfolio construction process.
- Typically 50-80 stock portfolio
- Expected 4-8% tracking error
- Individual position typically 0.5% to 5%, position sized by prospective risks
- Country ranges +/-10% absolute deviation from the benchmark
- Sector ranges +/-15% absolute deviation from the benchmark
- Reserves are normally less than 5%, max 10%
|1 YR||3 YR
|Composite Gross %||9.68%||15.94%||N/A||14.03%|
|Composite Net %||8.76%||14.97%||N/A||13.08%|
|Excess Return (Gross) %||8.47%||5.28%||N/A||3.58%|
|3 MonthsData as of 30-Jun-2019||Year to DateData as of 30-Jun-2019|
|Composite Gross %||2.89%||13.95%|
|Composite Net %||2.67%||13.48%|
|Excess Return (Gross) %||2.28%||3.37%|
Returns for time periods greater than one year are annualised.
Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.
Gross performance returns are presented before management and all other fees, where applicable, but after trading expenses. Net of fees performance reflects the deduction of the highest applicable management fee that would be charged based on the fee schedule contained within this material, without the benefit of breakpoints. Gross and net performance returns reflect the reinvestment of dividends and are net of all non-reclaimable withholding taxes on dividends, interest income, and capital gains.
MSCI Index returns shown with reinvestment of dividends after the deduction of withholding taxes.
Saudi British Bank0.82%
FinancialsNet Contribution 2.48%
Industrials & Business ServicesNet Contribution -0.85%
Industrials & Business Services
Pacific Ex Japan
South AfricaNet Contribution 0.83%
MexicoNet Contribution -0.29%
Ernest Yeung is a portfolio manager for the Emerging Markets Discovery Equity Strategy at T. Rowe Price. He was the co-portfolio manager for the International Small-Cap Equity Strategies from 2009 to 2014. Mr. Yeung is a vice president of T. Rowe Price Group, Inc. and T. Rowe Price Hong Kong Limited.
Mr. Yeung has 17 years of investment experience, 15 of which have been with T. Rowe Price. Prior to joining the firm in 2003, he was an analyst with HSBC Asset Management in London.
Mr. Yeung earned an M.A., with honours, in economics from Cambridge University. He also has earned the Chartered Financial Analyst designation and the Investment Management Certificate.
- Portfolio manager2015
- Years at16
T. Rowe Price
- Years investment18
Nicholas Beecroft is a portfolio specialist in the Equity Division at T. Rowe Price, representing the firm's global equity strategies. He is a vice president of T. Rowe Price Group, Inc. and T. Rowe Price International Ltd.
Mr. Beecroft has 18 years of investment experience, 14 of which have been with T. Rowe Price. He joined the firm in London in 2005 and spent many years working with our emerging markets equity team. Mr. Beecroft has been based in Hong Kong since 2011. Prior to joining T. Rowe Price, he was an investment analyst at Mercer Investment Consulting.
Mr. Beecroft earned a B.A, with honours, in contemporary European studies from the University of Southampton. He also has earned the Chartered Financial Analyst designation.
- Years at14
T. Rowe Price
- Years investment18