Tax and IRA FAQs

Do you have questions about taxes or need help finding tax information on our website? The frequently asked questions below may provide the help you need.

When will I receive my tax form?

The Tax Information Mailing Schedule lists the approximate dates the forms will be mailed to shareholders. In addition, we send, by mail or e-mail, your year-end statement in early January, which reports distributions and activity in each fund account for the year and year-end balances for accounts. Your tax form is available to view online at the same time it is mailed to you.

Please be aware that the U.S. Post Office changed its delivery standards, and delivery of your tax form delivery may take longer than in previous years.

Will I receive a tax form, and which tax forms should I expect to receive?

T. Rowe Price mails the following tax forms to shareholders:

Tax Form
Taxable distributions and exempt-interest dividends made to you by each fund during the year (provided the total distribution to you from the fund is $10 or more). Distributions are taxable whether received in cash or reinvested.
Proceeds from sales or exchanges of shares (other than money market funds) in taxable accounts, along with total cost and total gain or loss on shares sold (when available).
1099-R Distributions from retirement plan accounts and IRAs (including direct rollover distributions, excess contribution removals, IRA conversions, and IRA recharacterizations) and amounts withheld for taxes.
1099-Q Distributions from qualified education programs, including qualified tuition programs (529s) and Coverdell Education Savings Accounts. Mailed to the beneficiary (unless the 529 distribution was made payable to the account holder).
1042-S Reportable payments to nonresident alien account holders.
5498 Fair market value of an IRA at year-end and any contributions, rollovers, conversions, and recharacterizations made to an IRA.

For Brokerage accounts, including any T. Rowe Price mutual funds or exchange traded funds (ETFs) held in these accounts, IRS forms 1099-DIV, 1099-B, 1099-R, and 5498 are available online and are mailed by Pershing LLC. For further information on all tax forms, please visit the Tax Forms section.

Who will receive a tax form?

Shareholders who have a taxable account (such as individual, joint tenant, and UGMA/UTMA):

  • with redemption activity will receive a Form 1099-B (except for money market funds).

  • with distributions (dividends or capital gain distributions) or exempt-interest dividends of $10 or more, or if we withheld tax from the distribution, will receive a Form 1099-DIV.

  • with funds that pass through the foreign taxes paid (even if no distribution is made) will receive a Form 1099-DIV.

  • with funds that have withholding activity will receive a tax form reporting the amount withheld.

Shareholders who have a retirement account (such as a Traditional IRA, Roth IRA, Rollover IRA, SEP-IRA, or SIMPLE IRA):

  • with distributions during the tax year will receive a Form 1099-R.

  • with contributions for the tax year will receive a Form 5498.

Shareholders who have a retirement plan account (such as a 403(b), Individual 401(k), Profit Sharing, or Money Purchase Pension Plan):

  • with distributions during the tax year will receive a Form 1099-R.

Account holders or beneficiaries who have a qualified education program (such as a 529 plan or Coverdell Education Savings Account):

  • with distributions during the tax year will receive a Form 1099-Q. Distributions are reported under the beneficiary's Social Security Number unless the distribution was made payable directly to the account holder.

  • contributions into 529 plan accounts do not generate tax reporting.

Shareholders who are nonresident aliens:

  • with reportable payments will receive a Form 1042-S.

Why won't I receive a tax form?

Certain types of accounts do not require us to provide a tax form, including:

  • Taxable accounts with income dividends and capital gain distributions of less than $10.

  • Retirement accounts and qualified education programs with no reportable activity during the year.

  • Direct transfers from one IRA custodian to another IRA custodian provided the IRA type remains the same.

  • Transfers due to IRA Transfer - Due to Divorce.

  • Exchanges between different funds with the same IRA type at T. Rowe Price.

  • The redemption fee. Redemption fees are not reported on Form 1099-R.

  • The account service fee and close out fee will not generate or be reported on a Form 1099-R.

Will I receive a separate tax form for each fund in which I invest?

No. You will receive a combined tax package that includes Forms 1099-DIV, 1099-B, and 1099-R (if applicable) and is mailed in late January (Forms 1099-DIV and 1099-B will be mailed in mid-February to shareholders of the T. Rowe Price Real Assets, Real Estate, Global Real Estate, Mid-Cap Value, and Small-Cap Value Funds). Each form will list the funds in which you invest that had reportable transactions during the prior tax year. You may receive separate forms, depending upon the types of accounts you hold or in which you invest or the types of distributions made to you.

Why does the dividend amount paid by my fund differ between my Form 1099-DIV and my year-end statement?

There may be several items that can result in your year-end statement not matching your tax forms. For example, reclassifications after the year-end statement is produced; foreign tax, which is reported on Form 1099-DIV but generally not on your year-end statement; and short-term capital gain distributions, which are reported separately from dividends on your statement, but are combined with dividends on Form 1099-DIV in Box 1a.

Because of these potential differences between your year-end statement and tax form, we strongly recommend waiting to receive your tax forms before preparing your tax returns, so that you have the most up-to-date and complete information.

How are tax-free dividends reported?

T. Rowe Price reports exempt-interest dividends to you on Form 1099-DIV, Box 12 (for amounts of $10 or more). You must report your exempt-interest dividends on Form 1040. You also may need to report exempt-interest dividends on your state tax return. Consult a tax professional to determine if any or all of your Form 1099-DIV dividends are subject to the alternative minimum tax or reportable state tax.

How do I get a copy of my tax forms?

Copies of your 1099 forms are available online.

View tax forms issued for your account(s)

Must I use the cost basis and gain/loss information provided by T. Rowe Price?

The cost basis information provided by T. Rowe Price on the sale of covered securities (common stocks acquired on or after January 1, 2011; mutual fund shares acquired and sold after January 1, 2012; less complex bonds and options acquired on or after January 1, 2014; complex bonds and options acquired on or after January 1, 2016) is reported to the IRS. Cost basis on noncovered shares (those acquired prior to the dates specified above for covered securities) is not reported to the IRS or any state taxing jurisdictions. In both cases, you are not required to use the cost basis information provided by us. You are responsible for reporting accurate cost basis on your tax returns. You may want to seek assistance from your tax preparer to determine your cost basis. Find more information on cost basis and the IRS rules requiring cost basis reporting on mutual funds and other types of securities.

Are all the data on my tax forms reported to the IRS?

No. For example, as a service to investors, we provide additional information to you, but not the IRS, for both covered and noncovered securities on your Form 1099-B. Your tax forms will clearly indicate what information is not reported to the IRS.

Will I receive tax forms on my Brokerage accounts?

You will receive separate tax documents from Pershing LLC, reporting taxable activity for all holdings (including T. Rowe Price funds) in your Brokerage accounts. For taxable transactions in T. Rowe Price money market sweep accounts, the tax form may be sent by T. Rowe Price. View the Tax Information Mailing Schedule for more information.

What is the wash sale shown on my Form 1099-B and how does it affect my cost basis?

Wash sale rules apply to funds. If you sell shares at a loss, you cannot claim the loss if you purchased other shares in the same fund or a substantially identical fund within a 61-day period surrounding the sale. This period includes the day of the sale, 30 days before the sale, and 30 days after the sale. The disallowed loss is added to the basis of the purchased shares that resulted in wash sales.

For Form 1099-B reporting, we are only required to report to the IRS wash sales on covered securities that have the same security identifier (such as CUSIP) and are held in the same account. You are responsible, however, for identifying and reporting all wash sales for all securities held in all of your accounts. For noncovered securities, we adjust gain/loss information for wash sales you made before the end of the calendar year and report such information to you (but not the IRS). For more details, see IRS Publication 550. Please consult a tax professional. You should note that you are ultimately responsible for the accuracy of your tax return.

Brokerage accounts are offered by T. Rowe Price Investment Services, Inc., member FINRA/SIPC. Brokerage accounts are carried by Pershing LLC, a BNY Mellon company, member NYSE/FINRA/SIPC.

Intuit, TurboTax, and TurboTax Online, among others, are registered trademarks and/or service marks of Intuit Inc. in the United States and other countries. Other parties' trademarks or service marks are the property of their respective owners.

The information, including all linked pages and documents, on T. Rowe Price websites is not intended to be tax advice and cannot be used to avoid any tax penalties. You should consult your own tax professional. Please see Legal Information for more details.


Related Content